What causes upper abdominal pain and dark green stool while having ulcerative colitis?

Posted on Wed, 24 May 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have Ulcerative Colitis, Sjogren's, Lupus, Hypothyroid, Sphincter of the Oddi , Bile Reflux, Acid reflux and iron deficient anemia (at times). I currently have constant upper abdominal pain in the center that radiates to the right and left just a bit. (I had my gallbladder removed several years ago). The past two days I have also had dark green stool (runny and solid), along with regular dark brown stool. The stomach pain has been going on for 6 months and I have lost 20lbs. What are the conditions that would cause this?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Several causes are considered and needed examinations also

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question. You have several chronic conditions and do take several medications and many of them affect the stomach.

On the other hand chronic use of Pantoprazole even though it reduces acid and helps with stomach symptoms, if it is used for a long time might cause atrophy of the stomach mucosa and this brings symptoms resistant to treatment and might also cause malabsorbtion due to the mucosa of the stomach being thin.

As for the green stools (runny and solid) you are having, you say have been there for only two days so the most likely cause of it is a viral infection and needs to be observed how it will be in the next 3-4 days. Chances are it will be gone by that time.

Weight loss is another symptom that needs attention especially if you are not trying to keep a certain diet or intentionally reduce weight. You are using medications for thyroid and it would be good to consider if the dose is accurate. As thyroid hormones, if taken more than the body's need, might cause you to loose weight and also loose stools. So a good test to consider here is TSH if you have not had it done in the last 3-6 months.

Probably you have had routine checks for age and gender but just to make sure: have you had a pap smear in the last 3 years, if not it is a needed routine screening test. Lipids, sugar levels, CBC, would be a good idea also.

So to conclude I would say:

1. Please get an endoscopy of the stomach done (examination with a camera that goes there with a small tube from the mouth)- this will check for ulcer disease and for any atrophy(shrinkage) of the mucosa

2. Check your TSH if not done one in the last 3-6 months (for weight loss and loose stools)

3. routine checks are needed when we consider weight loss like CBC, lipids, glucose tests, creatinine and ALT, AST, Bilirubine. Pap smear, breast examination by a medical professional is advisable for your age and gender also.

4. make sure you eat yogurt to help the bowel or take enterogermina to help with the bacterial flora and if no improvement of the stools in the next 3-4 days you might need to consider tests to find the cause of it

5. make sure you drink well and keep yourself hydrated

6. alcohol makes bowel problems worse so if you use it daily try not to exceed 1-2 drinks a day.

7. you will need to have regular medical checks for the chronic conditions you are experiencing and due to the medications you are using

I hope this is helpful and answers your questions but please write back in case more clarification is needed on this.

I wish you well.

Kind regards

Antoneta Zotaj, MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj