What causes tonsillitis after high risk exposure to HIV?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Help please.

I am worried sick. I had a high risk exposure to HIV just over 14 months ago. I have tested twice with two Biosure Home Self HIV Antibody tests. Both came out negative. They are fingerprick blood tests. I tested at 13 and 14 months post exposure. I just need some more advice.

I have spoken to several doctors. Most of whom suggest another test just for peace of mind. But ideally I want to avoid this whole process again if I can. But I will test again if you think it is necessary. Do I need more tests? I have just got Tonsillitis, I have never had it before and I am worried that it is related. Also I am worried that I am someone who never develops antibodies, has delayed seroconversion or who will test positive if I test again. What's the likelihood of this?

Do you suggest further testing? Or can I be confident in my results before?

Thanks again for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No further test required.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxxx,

You had high risk exposure and you had tested negative at 13 and 14 month post exposure than no further test is required because antibody test is highly conclusive after 3 months as the window period for HIV is 15 days to 3 months.

As far as tonsilitis is concerned it is mostly due to some other infection not related to HIV for which you can consult your local physician and take some antibiotic as advices. Don't think much about HIV as you are risk free. Be relaxed and move on.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 15 minutes later

Thank you very much for your response.

I have made an appointment to see my GP but he can't see me untik the end of October. I have some Lozenges and Antibiotics from the chemist for the Tonsilitis, should these help?

Thanks again for your reply.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it will definitely help you.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxx,

The antibiotics and lozenges given by the chemist definitely help you. Also you can do warm water gargles to reduce the congestion in the throat. No need to worry much about HIV so be relaxed.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 19 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.

I will try gargling and I will try to relax.

Can anxiety and stress from the worry cause things aswell. I have been experiencing a choking sensation and I was wondering of this could be related to anxiety or stress?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it might be due to stress or anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Dear xxxxxx,

Keep calm and relaxed as too much of stress and anxiety may also cause such problems that you have. Don't think much about HIV because you are not at all any risk of getting it.

Thank You