• question-icon

What causes tingling sensations in the legs?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: My wife, 72 years old, is complaining of tingling and stinging in her legs and feet. She says that there is a burning feeling there.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

What you are describing, tingling, stinging, burning and itching, in the legs and feet, are most likely paresthesias (funny sensations) from peripheral neuropathy (damage or disease that affects the nerves).

One of the most common causes of this is diabetes where blood sugars have been high for a long time - not adequately controlled.

Kidney insufficiency, low thyroid function (hypothyroidism), and liver problems can cause this, as can certain medications including vincristine, metronidazole (an anti fungal), phenytoin, nitrofurantoin (an antibiotic for urinary tract infections), isoniazide and Zyvox.

Cipro and other antibiotics in it's class (the class is called fluoroquinolones) are particularly noted for the potential to cause this.

Also, environmental toxins such as herbicides, pesticides, dioxin, some metals, heavy metals, and excess intake of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine).

Inflammatory diseases that can cause it are Guillain–Barré syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, leprosy, multiple sclerosis,Sjögren's syndrome, Babesiosis, Lyme disease,vasculitis, and sarcoidosis.

Vitamin deficiency states: Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamin), vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin B1 (thiamine)can cause peripheral neuropathy.

Physical trauma: compression, pinching, cutting, and strokes.

Autoimmune diseases can cause this too, which Raynaud's may be part of, but if this is an ongoing problem, it deserves a work up. If her primary doctor isn't pursuing a work up for this, then I recommend referral to a neurologist.

I hope this information helps.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh