What causes tightness in throat and chest with popping sensation in ears?

Question
I have slight tightness in throat an upper chest. I especially notice sometimes when I breathe. I also have a popping in my left ear that feels like I have fluid in my ears. I don't feel horrible or severe. But it's been going on for 2 or 3 weeks and is getting more noticeable. I noticed the symptoms after I had a fever for 2 days and very sore throat. This was like a month ago. The doctor said they thought I has streph throat even though I tested negative. They put me on penicillin but after several days it got worse. They put me on a stronger antibiotic z pac or something. It really didn't help but it started feeling more like canker sores in my throat. They tested for the Herpes 1 which they told me it was anothrt name for canker sore and it came back positive. It finally got better but a week later I noticed the tightness feeling.
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
tightness and fluid in ears, explained.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome

I have read your history carefully.

The feeling of tightness in throat and chest requires proper workup. It could be associated with pathology related to

DYSPEPSIA /GERD or
ESOPHAGUS or
THYROID

I would advise a PPI such as esomeprazole and a PROKINETIC like domeperidone and an anti spasmodic like hyoscyamine for a week. An ECG should be done in the ER if the tightness feeling gets worse.

If symptoms persist or you have associated dysphagia and /or weight loss then you would require a consultation with a gastroenterologist to assess the need for upper G.I barium studies or endoscopy or motility studies.

the thyroid would require clinical exam for any lump or growth before any investigation is advised.

The popping feeling in the ear can be due to a DNS (deviated nasal septum) interfering with the Eustachian tube that links the nasopharynx to the middle ear or an infection of the ear like otitis media , both conditions would require clinical exam before treatment options are considered.

Let me know if you have any query
thanks