Suggest remedies for blocked ears

Dr. V. N. S. Parinam

Posted on Mon, 20 Nov 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Why do my ears still feel so blocked 9 weeks after getting turbinate bones removed from my nose ? I can't travel in the car because of the pressure and ears not opening properly , they open a little in the car but it seems to take a few days to recover from a very short trip in the car. I can't go out or do much just sitting around because ears are so blocked and painful , what can I do wish it would start to settle down abit soon
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian tube

Detailed Answer:
The air pressure in the middle ear is almost times same as the air pressure outside of the body. There is a communicating tube between middle ear and nasopharynx, permitting air to enter or leave the middle ear cavity. This tube is called eustachian tube. The tube functions to equalize air pressure on both sides of the eardrum. Normally the walls of the tube are collapsed. If this ET is blocked, the air pressure in the middle ear is different than the pressure on the outside of the eardrum. This can cause barotrauma and the symptoms are such as you experience.
So try to swallowing or chew gums so that the tube is open helping to equalize the pressure while you travel in car.
If you have allergies, congested nose, throat you are more likely to experience this more.
So you should make sure you immediately treat these. Gargling, saline washes help a lot in clearing the mucus and reduce congestion.
Follow up: Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 2 days later
Some more photos
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
No photos attached

Detailed Answer:

I am unable to view any attachments here. Have you forgotten to attach? if you have difficulty attaching please email to YYYY@YYYY with sub: Dr Suma P.