What causes swollen painful hands and red spots on hands?
Strongly suspecting HFM disease
Hello and welcome.
Thank you for writing to us.
I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.
Based on the provided description and the added fact that some children have had HFM (hand, foot and mouth disease), it is quite likely that you are developing the same. Although this viral infection starts with a fever and then the appearance of a rash (red spots which can then turn into blisters). You have not reported a temperature, but I would request you to report to a doctor at the earliest. I understand you are out camping, but this is a situation which warrants medical attention and I would request you to cut the camping trip short.
I also understand you are out camping and it might be difficult, but please try to take some images of the affected region and attach them to our discussion so I can have a look at the rash. I would also like to ask if you have developed and lesions in your mouth/oral cavity?
Once your symptoms worsen (which is the course of the infection) you will require medical attention for symptomatic relief. Please also make sure you keep yourself away from the other campers for their sake.
I hope you find my response helpful and in time to make a decision and move to a medical facility. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.
Typically resemble HFM disease sir
Hello once again sir.
I have gone through the attached images sir, the rash does seem similar to what is typically seen with HFM disease, but you understand how only a physical examination is always considered the best form of examination.
But based on the description, images and location of the red spots it does seem to me like a case of HFM. Please visit a medical facility at your earliest convenience as complications of HFM disease are most undesirable.
I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.
All queries addressed sir
Hello once again sir.
It is quite communicable and can easily be transmitted, especially during the first week of the infection (which is the phase you are currently in). It transmits mainly through the oral secretions and the air droplets you breathe out, but it can also be transmitted from the skin through direct contact (once the red spots turn into blisters are erupt), through your feces, etc.
The only precautions you can take is to cover yourself adequately to ensure you do not expose any part of the rash, wash your hands frequently, and avoid being in the company of people for a while.
I say it would be safe to return back to the company of people and work in about 5-7 days after the complete disappearance of your symptoms. I hope I have explained things in manner best understood by you sir. Please feel free to communicate any other concerns of yours.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is causing a swollen red spot on my lip
- Swollen hand its causes
- What viral infections cause hands swollen and eyes red and dry and swollen
- Will meth cause swollen hands
- What causes red hands
- What causes painful swollen eyelid
- What is the cause of a red and swollen eye
- What causes pains in hands
- What would cause red swollen sweaty hands and feet
- What causes itchy swollen spot on my right hand
- Not getting proper sleep, don't want to take sleeping pills. What to take?
- Radiation done for tongue cancer. Started getting pain. How to overcome...
- How to get rid of swollen and painful inner labia?
- Have bradycardia. Got positive stress test and qrs-t angle on ekg. Risk...
- Suffering from chronic acute bronchitis and recurrent pneumonitis. Safe...
- Hard bump appeared on inner thigh and lower abdomen. What could be...
- Have severe dry eye. On Restasis. Used moisture pads. Nothing helped....
- Have osteoporosis. Is it safe to stop taking fosomax while on calcium...
- Sudden pop sound in back. Experiencing pain and hot flashes. Took...
- Suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar 2. Why am I...