What causes swollen ankles?
swelling possible fluid overload
Thanks for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
You are concerned about new onset swelling of your ankles. The most common cause for leg swelling is fluid overload from congestive heart failure or from medication. You mention in your history that you had a heart attack and had two stents placed. The swelling is concerning for possible increase in heart failure from your heart attack.
The swelling could also be related to medication. Several types of medication can cause swelling. Please include in you answer a list of your current medications
Also low thyroid condition can cause ankle swelling. During your next doctors visit you should ask about possible thyroid problems as a cause of the swelling.
The treatment for leg swelling will all depend on the cause of the swelling. So until you have been seen you should not take any extra medication
In summary causes of leg swelling
1. Worsening congestive heart failure
I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care questions and concerns
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Swollen calf and ankle causes
- Causes swollen ankles and feet
- What causes night sweats and swollen ankles
- Swollen ankles cause and treatment
- What are the causes of swollen legs ankles
- Causes of swollen right ankle
- Causes of swollen ankles symptoms
- Swollen ankle bone causes
- Swollen ankles and legs causes
- Having swollen ankles what could be the cause