What causes swallowing difficulty with upper back pain while eating?

Dr. Tayyab Malik

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi,
iam 36 female. Since past 2 days Iam feeling very strange while swallowing food. As soon as the food starts going down I get pain in my upper back. Yesterday i thought its gastric as Im on spondilytis medicines.But, today also it happened with me.
Iam taking muscle relaxants, glycomet 1000 for insulin resistance and thyronorm 100 mcg as im im hypothyroid.
Please suggest that what should I do? Is it serious?
Answered by Dr. Tayyab Malik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
More details needed

Detailed Answer:
hi.
thank you for posting your query at HCM...

i understood you concern and need answer for the questions below:

1. did you experience difficulty and/or pain during swallowing previously or is this the first episode?
2. do you have history of GERD?
3. is the pain associated with liquid or solids or both?
4. is pain accompanied with vomiting or nausea?
5. had you underwent any radiological examination in past 6 months?
Xray or CT or endoscopy ?

look forward for your answers.
thank you

regards
Dr Tayyab Malik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Tayyab Malik 12 minutes later
Hello doctor,
Please find the answers below.
1. did you experience difficulty and/or pain during swallowing previously or is this the first episode?-
No, I never had any difficulty. This is the first time.I was sick since 2 months typhoid and UTI so I was on antibiotics. Right now Iam on muscle relaxants due to cervical.
2. do you have history of GERD?
I do not have any history as such.
Pain is with solids. Liquids are ok. Infact today pain is little better.But, I can feel the food going down and settling.
No, I do not have any nausea. Infact I feel hungry
Xray or CT or endoscopy ?
Yes, I went for XRAY about a month ago when I was diagnozed with Typhoid.
Answered by Dr. Tayyab Malik 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further evaluation needed

Detailed Answer:
hi.
thanks for getting back to me and for the answers...

as per your answers and clinical presentation, it does not look like a lesion in the esophagus.

pain maybe muscular ( localized).
Trapezius is a muscle in the neck that is NOT directly involved in the swallowing process. However, "pharyngeal muscles involved in swallowing" may have an anatomical association with trapezius muscle.

Cranial nerve XI (11) controls motor activity of trapezius and many swallowing muscles. Excitation due to any reason in this nerve may cause pain in the "shoulder blade/back".

therefore, you may visit a rheumatologist and discuss the muscular pain.

putting together, symptoms associated with swallowing maybe SECONDARY to damage at trapezius or nerve without any lesion in the gastrointestinal tract.

hope to answer your concern.
Any further questions are welcomed.

If no further questions, kindly close the dialogue box and rate the answer.

Wish you good and sound health.
thank you.
regards,
Dr Tayyab Malik
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj