• question-icon

What causes sudden weight loss while on thyroid medication?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: What is the newest 2017 thyroid medication? .One that is not animal based? I've taken Levothyroxian and T3 and 4 for twenty years, they never showed up in many blood test. They caused massive weight gain and loss of hair and eyebrows. I now have. Severe weight loss and am on the verge of Myxedema, from a totally non functioning thyroid. I have severe symptoms. I have been told this is actually a pituitary, penial, and endrocin non functioning problem. I need a head Neuro surgeon, to fix the problem. I know of only one, Dr Jankovic, who was the head of The Balyor Universaity of Medicine Neurological Surgery Dept, In XXXXXXX TX 20 years ago. He cured my son of tardive disconisa, and distonia, with Tetrobenizine. He was only one of 3 Doctors in the nation allowed to use this medication at the time. Do you know of any neurolagy surgeon of that caliber?

Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About central hypothyroidism treatment;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern and can understand your situation.
Unfortunately, except of levothyroxine, liothyronine and armour thyroid, there is no new mediaction to treat hypothyroidism.
As you reported, it is a central hypothyroidism and in these cases the treatment consists in removing the cause.
If there is a pituitary tumor that compresses the functional part of the pituitary gland, the thyroid hormones should be corrected before surgery.
A low cortisol level may be manifested too with the symptoms you described above, I think your physician has checked it.
Regarding to a well known neurosurgeon, perhaps you may check with your insurance agent.
At what area do you live?
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist