What causes stomach cramps and tiredness with negative UPT?

Dr. Som Biswas

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I'm 30 years old and trying to start a family. My husband just started trying in July after my last period. Last period was from XXXXXXX 30-July 5 and was heavy, with some clotting as it always has been. I am not on the pill. We had intercourse July 6, July 9 and then a few times between thereafter (I hadn't really been tracking ovulation but my last period prior was XXXXXXX 4 and last 6 days).

On the week of July 11 I started to experience bloating and a need to urinate more frequently (no change in the urgency, just more often). Then I started to feel pressure under my belly button, bloating, some gas, no constipation or pain. The pressure under my belly button and bloating continued so I went to a clinic and did a complete blood work on me - everything was normal...anion gap was slightly lower than normal but the doctor didn't mention it as it was very close to normal levels, and urinalysis levels were just slightly higher but again, very close to normal levels. Did a urine test and that also came up normal. The doctor also checked for pregnancy on the 18th and the blood test came back negative.

I was expecting my period on August 27 or 28, and it arrived August 30 in the afternoon. It started with some brown spotting, very light. It changed from light to darker brown spotting, and on August 31 it turned a bright red but only lasted a couple of hours and went back to brown and then it seemed like it was gone. This cycle continued (going from light brown, to darker brown, red for an hour or two, then nothing) until August 4. After sex, there was some blood that looked like a pinkish red, but after a couple of wipes it was gone. I used tampon a couple of times but gave up as I never filled up a tampon/and was uncomfortable to remove. I did experience some cramping, but it didn't feel like there was much of a "flow" so I'm not even sure if I could call that a period?

I've taken a few pregnancy tests - including one this morning and they have all been negative.

I have been feeling more tired than usual, and my breasts have been more sensitive but I'm not sure whether just to chalk that up to PMS. I have always had heavy periods, and this bloated/pressure under my navel is concerning me...could I still be pregnant, even with a negative pregnancy test?

Thank you for your help.

Answered by Dr. Som Biswas 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.

Chances are very less that you are pregnant.

These all sound like premenstrual and menstrual symptoms.

But if you want to be 100% sure get a blood beta HCG test and a transvasginal sonography.

These will definitely tell if you are pregnant or not.

Dr. Som MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T