What type of anemia is indicated as per a hematocrit level of 10.9?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am anemic and have been for a while I have had two iron infusions during the month of October. I just had a hysterectomy because of somewhat heavy periods. I have hypochromia and and aniscytosis. I have low ferritin my number is eight. My Hematocrit is 10.9. Do you have any idea what type of anemia I have? I don’t see my hematologist again until December. My hematocrit dropped even after I had the two iron infusions.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Iron deficiency anemia!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

YOru recurrent heavy periods cause continuous blood loss and iron which has caused you to have iron deficiency anemia. If the last infusions were done prior to the hysterectomy, it is totally understandable that the anemia would persist as the loss of iron through excessive bleeding continued.

At this time, eat healthy and take iron supplements. We will monitor your hemoglobin. Should it drop further, then there might be reason to look into other possible sources of blood loss such as the intestines.

Have you had any colonoscopy yet? This will be necessary if your hemoglobin continues to drop.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.