• question-icon

What causes stabbing pain in the shoulders?

Posted on Sat, 15 Jul 2017 in Back Pain
Question: I have stabbing pain in my right pointer finger knuckle & swelling of the joint. Numbness in other fingers in the same hand. Left wrist is doing the same thing swelling and stabbing burning pain. Use makes them worse depending on what it is. Ibuprophen 600 mg 4x a day is not working. I take rx vitamin D & Iron already have for years and I am bruising every where for no reason.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Stabbing and burning pain is often related to neuropathy which is abnormal function of the nerves.
It can occur for a variety of reasons including trauma to the nerves eg arthritis of the spine where the nerves emerge or in a joint or any point along its path.

X rays of the hand, wrist, shoulders and neck may be needed to identify if there is an area where the nerves may be compressed.

If trauma to the nerves is the likely cause then you may need to consider alternate medication along with physiotherapy
The medication would depend on the cause of the bruising (if you are predisposed to bleeding). Bloods tests such as complete blood count to look at the platelet levels, PT, PTT, protein c and S---- these all check the body's ability to clot.

If there is an abnormality found, you would have to be careful with the ibuprofen orally.
You would need to consider another pain killer such as codeine, tramadol or other member of this family

If there is no abnormality found then you can consider switching to another agent such as naproxen or voltaren.

If trauma is not the cause, then you may need additional blood tests.
(1)diabetes
(2)low vitamin b12, low folate
(3)liver or kidney disease
(4)side effect of medication
(5)thyroid disease
(6)autoimmune disease such as lupus or RA

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James