• question-icon

What causes sore throat, chest pain while coughing and wheezing?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I woke up with a burning phlegm like fluid coming up from my throat. My chest hurt and the. I had like a wheezing sound and it hurt to cough
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Discussion follows

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your cough.
You have a respiratory infection and from your description it is likely to be an asthmatic bronchitis. This would have started as an upper respiratory infection as you have a sore throat and extended down to involve the air passages ( bronchi).
If you have any fever and you get a chest pain when you breath in or cough, you may be developing a pneumonia and it would be advisable to go to the ER or see a doctor.
You are likely to require an antibiotic, an expectorant cough syrup to bring out the phlegm and other medicines depending on the other symptoms and findings.

Do get back to me with further queries.
Dr. Noble Zachariah