What causes sore throat and stomach upset after an unprotected intercourse?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 17 Feb 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi...I am loosing my mind. I had unprotected sex with a prostitute 7 days ago. I have flu like symptoms, sore throat, swollen glands, upset stomach...so on. Worried out of my mind. Took full std test and hiv rna, but sounds like too soon to be accurate and worried this worry will not subside even when I get the test back and if negative. Any help on what to look for or if I can trust the test after 7 days would be greatly appreciated-- I can't focus or sleep. Terrible. I also have MS, which leads me to believe I am a greater risk.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are unlikely be due to STD/HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
STDs are more than 30 in numbers. Certain manifest earlier. Certain diseases may take months to manifest. All the diseases can not be derected by blood tests. Similarly tests by 7 days too early to have a conclusive result as the widow perod of these diseases also differ.
At the sametime that there is every chance for your partner has no STD/HIV.
30-40% spouses of HIV positive people remain HIV free for years together in spite of their regular and consistant intercourse with their partners. They are called as Discordant couples.
Earliest manifestations of HIV can manifest only after 3-4 weeks after the risky contact and not earlier. So your symptoms are unlikely due to HIV. Ordinary viral infection can occur to anybody at anytime as these are very common symptoms especially after an intimacy during sex as an airborn infection and not related to HIV.
Regarding the HIV test, it will become more conclusive by 4 weeks after the exposure as well as the tests for STDs.
If you have sex partner (wife), avoid unprotected sex for three months till all the test results would reveal that you are safe.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 57 minutes later
Ok, thank you. I've been worried sick and checking myself everywhere for sores or anything out of place. I found little blood blisters it appears on my left scrodum. They appear to be right by veins. Any Intel would be greatly appreciated. I also have off and on pain in my lower abdomen and inner thigh. For the "cold" symptoms I have a mild sore scratchy throat, fatigue, ear ach, upper respiratory issues (chest) and mild off and on naseau. Thank you
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Blisters near could possibly be Genital Herpes

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

With any cold viral infection, sore throat and subsequent pain over ears and other upper respiratory symptoms are quite common. Your other symptoms also are not specific for HIV/STD. Specific symptoms of HIV will occur only in late stages of disease, say after 15 years after the infection. Till then only blood test would be way to either confirm or rule out HIV disease. Blisters near genitals could possibly due to Genital Herpes infection. But that also can be confirmed only by an examination and with the help of investigations. You can upload the picture in this site for further discussion.

So you can consult your physician for your symptoms and get well soon. Blood tests for STD/HIV after appropriate time (as guided by your physician) will rule out STD/HIV.

Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Ive been reading that the acute HIV symptoms would be similar to what I am experiencing and start a week after exposure like I am. I know you can't really confirm either way and I just need to wait in test, but has me just worried sick.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is quite unlikely be due to HIV acute infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Acute infection would take more than 3 weeks to manifest. It will take a weeks time for the disease to get established inside the body.The acute infection corresponds to sero-conversion or an antibody formation against the virus inside the body and it will take more than 4 weeks, so also the symptoms of acute infection in the course of HIV disease in the presence of an infection. As your symptoms started by one week after the exposure, it is quite unlikely be due to HIV acute infection. Not to worry.
DR S.Murugan