Is HIV PCR test done 9 days post exposure conclusive?

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I had sex with girl on 28 oct . I got my test on 6 nov (9 days after exposure ) hiv pcr rna viral load .the test report Nagtive. And also I take the test of girl on 3 nov hiv is 1/2 & p24 combo test . The test also nagtive. Girl say me she had no sex with anyone after 2 oct . So girl test ( 32 days ) is nagtive. My first question is my test is eligible. Or girl test show girl is no hiv when I sex with her . Is that I have no chance of hiv or no need to anthor test.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
That lady is HIV 1 infection free.So HIV 1 infection is unlikely for you.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
Even though HIV PCR can pick up the infection (if any) as early as 7 days, it can be considered as conclusive only after 3-4 weeks after the exposure. Moreover the PCR test which you had undergone is a quantitative test not a qualitative test. RNA PCR Qualitative or DNA PCR would be more useful in diagnosis and quantitative test will be useful to assess the prognosis of the infection in an already diagnosed case. So your test can not be considered as a conclusive one. Different HIV PCR tests are necessary to rule out HIV 1 and 2.

Regarding your partner's status, HIV window period is as long as 12 weeks or 90 days. Her last contact was 32 days back. So she had not crossed her window period for the HIV test. She had undergone 4th generation HIV combo test which consists of two parts. So with her nonreactive test, antigen part of the test can be considered as conclusive and she was free from HIV 1 infection which is commonest possibility and HIV 2 is yet to ruled out for her .
So I recommend to have your 4th generation HIV COMBO test 12 weeks after the exposure to get a conclusive report as far as HIV 1 and 2 are concerned.
Dr S.Murugan
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist