Can HIV be contracted through unprotected anal sex?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
5 weeks ago, I had an encounter with She male Escort. Possible unprotected anal for 3 minutes, I was on top. I did a HIV RNA test at 14 days, negative. At 35 days, HIV-$ gen Test - Negative. I also tested for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea at 21 days, negative. I have been worried about HIV or STD from this exposure. Do I need further testing for HIV or any other test such as Heb B? I want ensure I am healthy.
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I suggest doing a 4th generation HIV test after 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing in HealthcareMagic.

Based on your history, having unprotected anal sex, I think it is a good news that you have negative results for HIV and some of the STDs.

But, I'd suggest doing a 4th generation HIV test after 3 months of exposure as a conclusive test.
Furthermore, I think that you should test as well for hep b, HSV 2 and syphilis.

I hope my answer helps you. Feel free to ask further.
Regards.

Follow-up: Can HIV be contracted through unprotected anal sex? 2 hours later
When do I test for Heb B, and other STD’s? Can I do it today? Or what is window period ?

Answered by Dr. Monika Dede 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
For hep B the window period is from 4 weeks - 3 months.

Detailed Answer:
I am sorry for my late response.

Usually for syphilis should test 3 week after exposure, for hep B the window period is from 4 weeks - 3months and for HSV2 after 3 weeks of exposure till 3 months.

I hope my answer helps you.
Regards.