• question-icon

What causes sore throat along with white appearence in it?

Posted on Tue, 30 Dec 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I chew tobacco once in a great while. Maybe 1 tin a month, or less.
However recently I have come down with a sore throatm nainly the back of my throat. Its kinda white. I my gums looks fine, I used to have problems with tonsillitis and bronchitis. I rarely ever get sore throats.
Should I be worried? Should I get it checked, or wait to see if it passes? Its starting to get cold here In New Hampshire...im just real worried about cancer.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend you to consult the doctor...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

Sore throat with whitish appearance could be either sub mucous fibrosis secondary to tobacco chewing or pus filled granulations.

A thorough examination of the throat is required to arrive at the diagnosis.

I would recommend you to consult your doctor rather than waiting for it to resolve, as the winter is fast approaching and the things may get worsened.

If you can post the photograph of the lesion, we can help you in a better way.

Meanwhile, try drinking plenty of warm water, avoid chilled food and beverages and reduce tobacco chewing, as much as possible.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 20 hours later
Thank you for the reply, today my sore throat has begun to go away.
the bottom of my neck parallel to my shoulders is still a bit swollen.
My dentist has never said anything about problems with gum recession or damage caused by chewing tobacco, except for telling me to quit, he was very surprised when I told him I had been chewing since I was about 20 years old(26 now) I have cut down a lot over the past 3 years.

Thank you for your reply, I have a follow up with my physician in the next two weeks, ill speak to him about it Monday and see if I he wants to check it out or has any concerns.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Neck swelling is because of inflamed lymphatic structures...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

That sounds great! The swelling in the neck is because of the residual inflammation of the lymphatic structures. Once the infection or the inflammation in the throat reduces, the swelling in the neck will recede along with this.

Please do discuss with the doctor regarding your throat and get the things cleared. Meanwhile, drink plenty of warm water; this will clear the inflammation faster. I wish you good luck and good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist