What causes skipped beats while suffering from premature atrial contractions?

Posted on Mon, 1 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am having skipped beats for the last month on the monitor they told me it is premature atrial contractions and my resting heart rate is 58-60 per minute I stopped smoking 5 months ago. My blood pressure is 128 over 78 I am not diabetic but my LDL cholesterol levels are 148 and my total cholesterol is 196
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Based on the data you provided I can confirm that you have a slightly elevated total and LDL cholesterol that need to be lowered.

My suggestion is to continue with healthy life style, diet and sports. This will help to lower cholesterol levels. If after three months cholesterol levels are still high you should start medical treatment (statins).

Also you are reporting to experience skipped beats the last months, that needs further examinations to determine what is causing it.

If you were my patient I would recommend to do the following examinations to find out what is causing your arrhythmia:
- ECG
- Cardiac echo
- Holter monitoring
- Thyroid hormons balance

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu

Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 3 days later
My holter showed isolated premature ventricular contractions
My stress ECG is normal
My ECG showed short P-R interval
My Echo was Normal except for a little dilatation in left atrium inspite my valves are OK and my blood pressure was between 120/80 and 130/80
My thyroid functions are Normal

What do you think about my PVCs and its prognosis
i forgot to tell you that I am a doctor my speciality is psychiatry so I am always hearing stresses of others all the time
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answer to your query...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back doctor,

Based on the new data you provided everything look normal, apart from short P-R interval on ECG. These may be a sign of pre-excitation syndromes (Wolff Parkinson White syndrome, Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome etc.).

Pre-excitation syndrome is associated with palpitations and premature ventricular contractions and may be the cause of your symptoms.

Can you upload your ecg so i can check it by my self?

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 4 days later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

After reviewing your ECG my opinion is that you have pre-excitation syndrome that is the cause of palpitation and skipped beats.

You shouldn't worry it's not a lifethreating syndrome. The only precautation is in case of arrhythmia or tachycardia, you should discuss with your treating doctor before taking any medication (severe complication may occur with certain drugs used to lower heart rate).

Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist