What causes sinus infection and white spots with soreness of the tongue?

Dr. Nishad BN

Posted on Tue, 7 Feb 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have for four or five years have had what appears to be a recurring episodic disease/infection. It comes on with a soreness of the tongue (tiny white spots) and can result in rapidly changing areas of concern - sinus infection (not presently), very thick and recurring mucus in the throat that is very sticky and burns if it is put on the tongue. Mouth saliva does not burn. Other recurring symptoms include increased duodenal acidity, changes in bowel habits, some apparent bloating and periodic discomfort of the chest, particularly at the lower rib on one side only. At times also bleeding can be seen in the gums, in the external rectal tissue (with burning) and recently minor blood in the urine (but only rarely, but visible. Accompanying the chest and abdominal discomfort (not pain) are rapidly moving antibody reactions - for instance finger joint and thumb joint (very painful, duration LT one day), shoulder, a revisitation of a chest injury that I had two years ago (mild to significant pain), and today a stiff neck. There are other signs of inflammation. The duration of inflammation and location can be very short and can recur. With the mucus in the throat, there is a cough (not from a specific location) that has recurred for a month or two and seems to have to do with ejecting irritating mucous. These episodes have occurred with changes for a decade or more and can go away for long periods. There has never been a fever. However, when the inflammation was sever in the nasal sinuses, antibiotics and cortisone helped rather rapidly but the inflammation came back rather rapidly. The current inflammation has not been nasal.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Deficiency of vitamin C can give such symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Your problem can be due to vitamin c deficiency and gastritis. Taking chewable vitamin C 100 mg daily and taking proton pump inhibitors like esomeprazole ( Nexium ) for long term like 6 weeks will be helpful to clear your problem.

Keep mouth full of water in morning after brushing and at night before bed time for 15 minutes and spit out. This will clear the pathogenic bacteria in oral cavity.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng