What causes zits on the nipple?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Can you get a zit in your nipple? Because I did!!! I didn't know you could get one there. It was the size of a marble and when I squeezed it tons of puss came out.. But it was my nipple!!!!!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Regarding your query related to the nipple

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

The nipple itself is only an exit point for ducts. However the skin of surrounding areola contains plenty of sebaceous glands and hair follicles which can get blocked. The pent up secretions may feel like a cyst. This cyst may subsequently get infected and burst through the nipple.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Ok, thank you. I had another DR on here say i should get a mamogram.. I do have felicolitas, im not sure im spelling it right, but i have super curly hair and ive gotten huge marble or even golf ball sized zits in my groin, my breasts and armpits since i hit puberty in the 90's. But i never had one in the nipple.. Thank you so much!!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of hidradenitis suppurativa

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for additional information.
The distribution of bumps in regions like a island, groin and nipple area is somewhat suggestive of hidradenitis suppurativa (HS). The condition is more common in females and affects the areas rich in apocrine sweat glands - axilla, groin, buttocks and breasts - presenting as recurrent painful nodules, skin scarring and sinuses that are so characteristic of hidradenitis suppurativa.
I request you to kindly upload a few images of all the affected areas in "Reports Section" so that I am able to confirm and guide you better

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 11 hours later
Ok, ill get you some photos. But that sounds exaclty ike what i have. Ive had it since puberty. Can i just say, that i have avascular necrosis in both ankles. I was diagnosed with tge felecitous when i was 19 or 20. I was 34 when i was diagnosed with the AVN. I never had zits on my face as a teen but now i do, and i have hair growing on my face now too. Im calling my obgyn tomorrow, but im freaking out now because im about to be 39, and my 30's just brought me horrible things. So now im terrified of what the 40's will bring me.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of hidradenitis suppurativa

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Hidradenitis suppurativa is commonly misdiagnosed as simple bacterial skin and soft tissue infection_ bacterial folliculitis or furunculosis for many years before the diagnosis of hidradenitis suppurativa is considered. You may mention to your doctor about this possible diagnosis.
I ll wait for the images so that I am able to confirm and guide you better.