What causes severe body pain and fever along with itchy palms and feet?
Self care, exclusion of hidden causes, skin specialist's consultation.
Thanks for your query under HCM.
The fever without any specific signs /symptoms- having severe pain all over body & fever, not responding to paracetamol& going automatically down in a few days ... suggests Viral fever.The symptom that is bothering you at present is itching palms & feet. It's really a disturbing problem making one restless & irritated I understand your concern.
* Though there are various causes of itchy foot & palms like-excessive sweating, contact dermatitis, allergy,liver or kidney problems, Hormonal imbalance , peripheral neuropathy /dry skin -( in diabetes) Infections ( viral/ bacterial/ fungal)...
* I feel you have it due to the viral infection.
When the skin of palms/soles come in contact with infecting agent like virus/ bacteria/ fungus.. it starts itching severely.
self care - Washing with a antibacterial soap, followed by application of softener like white petroleum gel mixed with anti viral ointment & cortisone , anti fungal ointment., followed by wearing cotton socks.
- Avoiding exposure of feet/hands to excessive air/ heat, thus avoiding drying of skin.
- doing routine feet exercises to improve blood circulation in feet/arms.
- Take nourishing diet with vitamins( A,B complex,C)/ take plenty of water & juices/ soups
- Be careful about personal hygiene( specially that of feet/ hand)
* Doctor's advise -( In case there is no result with self care/ to exclude hidden causes of itching) though there was no specific organ symptoms during fever.. it's advisable to consult your doctor for excluding diabetes/ liver problem/ kidney problem along with investigations as per need- Also prevalence of allergy, or infection will be scrutinized by the doctor .. to offer you specific treatment as per need.OR he will refer you to expert skin specialist for specialized advise.
I hope, you found the answer both informative & useful. any follow up query is welcome.
Consult a Infectious disease specialist/ Gastroenterologist.
Thanks for the follow up contact.
- The recent blood report is showing Malaria. The symptoms of Malaria to start with mimic those of viral fever,specially so when the patient is on preventive dose .In such patients repeated testing for malaria is needed to find malaria- so was the case with you,
* In malaria there is excessive breakdown of red blood cells- which leads to strain on liver( hepatitis) & jaundice .As I had just pointed out in previous answer, liver disorder can cause itching.
Obviously you need to investigate liver involvement as a cause of your severe itching in palms & feet along with treatment of Malaria.
* Treatment of Malaria-In this context I would advise you to consult an infectious disease specialist the earliest. You will be thoroughly examined, Blood peripheral smear will be tested in series/ with special stains & treatment will be decided to control malaria.
Mostly the drugs are given orally but in case one can not digest it orally even IV drugs are available.
* Investigation & treatment of liver problem-Side by side the liver needs to be investigated for presence of jaundice & treated as per need. Infectious disease specialist will refer you to Gastroenterologist if he feels it needful.
Investigations done include- Liver function tests, Complete blood count, for detecting anemia, Serum Billirubin, USG /MRT,CTscan of abdomen as per need .
The treatment will depend on severity of the jaundice
Maintenance of hydration( use boiled water)
Regular consumption of medicines as per advise,
follow dietary restrictions advised by doctor,
No self medication for any cause,
Avoid insect bites in future.
Hospitalization- may be needed in some patients..where Iv fluid replacement is done with anti malarial drugs given Iv ( if needful), steroids are indicated in certain conditions.
Please don't worry, once the basic cause is diagnosed , expert advise & specific treatment along with home care will control your symptoms in due time & you will be alright.
I hope the answer has helped you to take decision intime, Any other query you have I will be happy to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes leftsided body pain
- Sudden body pain and fever
- Body pain and fever
- Extreme body pain and fever
- What are the causes of body pain
- What causes severe fatigue mild fever and body pain
- What causes persistent body pain
- Diarhhea with fever and body pains
- What is the cause and treatment for body pain
- What causes constant body pain