• question-icon

What causes severe anxiety while on Vancomycin?

Posted on Thu, 7 Sep 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi, I was successfully treated with Vancomycin a year and a half ago, when I got C DIff ifection after using combination of Clindamicin and Amoxicillyn for a stupid tooth infection. I have been feeling very good since (in February it will be 2 years since( and I take very high quality probiotic (VSL#3). But, I still have anxiety from C Diff ( almost like a PTSD). A week or so ago I had a small cut on my finger, and I applied some OTC Neosporin for 2 days). Now I am derading that it may cause C DIff ( my stomach is acting up, but it may be from fear itself, and also, I have had IBS for 10 years now anyway). Can a small application on a finger cut of OTC Neosporin ointment cause , God forbid, C Diff?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
No it can't.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
I've gone through your details.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be addressing your concerns.
As per your queries answers are-
When we apply a antibiotic locally over skin only a very small percentage of it is absorbed into blood vessels below skin layer which further reaches the liver for metabolisation.To say less then 0.5% of drug is absorbed into blood vessels when drug is used over the skin directly.
This is negligible amount and can't induce dysbiosis in intestines.

Secondly i would suggest you to get a prescription for anti anxiety medication like Benzodiazepenes.They will in long term help you with obssession or PTSD.
A selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor like Paroxetine can be started in low doses to help you with you increased levels of anxiety.

Hope i was helpful dear.
Please don't worry one time application won't do anything.

Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
I thank you so, so much for your expert, yet so comforting answer. That is exactly what I needed. My mind ruminates, and I get into a panic mode and my stomach, sensitive to brain-gut relation as it is - start acting up.

God bless you for this answer. And yes, I know very well I have to deal with my anxiety ( I was also diagnosed as OCD). I hope I can follow you in the future if I have any concerns, but you saved me today.

Dzeilana
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you so much.

Detailed Answer:
I wish you a fast recovery and a very happy and healthy life ahead my dear patient.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist