What causes severe abdominal pain and bloating?

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello my stomach has been in a lot of pain. when I press on it it helps relieve the pain for a minute. This is my actual stomach itself that hurts not my abdomen. I feel gassy and bloated, it sometimes hurts so bad that it feels like it wraps around my whole rib cage back to front :( I'm afraid to take anything for the pain because ulcer has been on my mind
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastritis more likely . provide further details .

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear , hi

Warm welcome to Healthcaremagic.com
I have evaluated your query thoroughly .

* This seems more likely to be gastritis issue .

Kindly provide further details so that I can answer your query completely .

1. Pain - duration , any relation with food .
2. Associated vomiting , change in appetite .
3. Bowel movements okay or disturbed .
4. Sleep pattern alteration if any .
5. History of smoking , alcohol .

Awaiting for your response .

Regards .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 33 minutes later
I do smoke but no drinking alcohol at all. I haven't vomited but at times I feel like I could. no pain associated with food, the pain can be here for a few days and then its completely gone for a week or so then comes back . bowel movements seem the same as usual, and my sleeping hasnt changed much, I wake up all hours of the night with my baby. Hope this helps give you a better idea of what could be going on. The pain is above my belly button and right under my rib cage in the middle, it literally feels like my actual stomach is in pain
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
stomach or gall bladder issue .guidelines given .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the details .

* Seems issue with stomach or gall bladder .

* Guidelines for better recovery

- Drink plenty of liquids .
- Prefer soft , light diet .
- Avoid oily , spicy , non veg , hot beverages , junk foods , dairy fat till possible .

- Intake of cap. prilosec ( 20 ) mg with sips of water morning and evening on
empty stomach , tab. tylenol ( 500 ) mg after meals will give excellent relief .
- Regular walking , exercises , YOGA are much helpful ways .
- Have to quit smoking .
- Avoid stress , anxiety .

* Later on according to the progress , may need ultrasound evaluation for the
detailed work up .

Hope this will help you for sure .

Wishing you fine health ahead .
Regards dear take care .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 56 minutes later
just one more follow up question, I have had my gall bladder removed due to gall stones , this pain feels similar to gall stone pain except it seems to be coming from my stomach. I do have high anxiety and been extremely stressed up as of late. I will do all of the things you recommend. does this sound like a ulcer or more just gas issues? thank you for the warm welcome you have been great!
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up .

Detailed Answer:
Welcome dear .

* In absence of gall bladder , this redirects to gastritis more rather than gas .

* Proton pump inhibitors as prilosec or others will support only ,
Major recovering things are life style modifications with diet restrictions
already mentioned in my conversation .

* Do minimum 15 minutes dedicated concentration techniques and YOGA and
feel the drastic and tremendous results on your own free of charge .

* That is sounding about your sleep disturbances with stress , needs surely sound
regular sleep of minimum 6 hours .

* No accomplishments for any words please , it is part of our moral
responsibility only .

Would like to have any follow up regarding the case even after you close the discussion at another direct query or at my email ID YYYY@YYYY

Regards .