Owl Image

What causes running nose and nasal congestion during pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
Hi dr,

My wife is currently 25weeks pregnant. Recently she had a running nose and some nasal congestion. But there was no other symptom eg. Sore throat , fever etc.

May I know is it common to have runny nose at this point?

Will it affect the baby?

Necessary to visit clinic at this point of time?

Thks
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW THE ADVICE. NO HARMFUL EFFECT TO BABY.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Running nose and nasal congestion are MOSTLY related to Seasonal Changes. Viral infection and allergen particle are also responsible for the same.

I suggest to keep observing the pattern of other clinical symptoms like fever, sore throat, earache, joint pain etc. In that case, you must visit to her doctor for clinical examination and complete prescription. Short course of antibiotic may be required for complete treatment.

2) Baby is WELL PROTECTED inside womb and there will be NO harmful effects from mother's common cold and running nose at this stage.

Some basic home remedies can improve her condition and prevent recurrence:

a) Drink plenty of water or fruit juice to stay hydrated and keep throat moist.

b) Inhale steam or use saline nasal spray to ease nasal congestion and drippy nose.

c) Stay away from household dust, pollens, powders, droplets, smoke, allergen substances etc.

d) Take one teaspoon honey & tulsi juice in the morning or hot drink like milk at bed time is quite helpful.

e) Take hot shower bath, sleep with an extra pillow under head and vitamin-C supplements are very much essential.

Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326