What causes ridges and bumps on finger nails?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 13 Feb 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What is the cause of ridges & bumps in ny finger nails, welts on skin, dry skin, bleeding gums, occasional tounge sores & lightheadedness. Standard blood tests yield nothing wrong. Could it be deficiency or poison?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
?? Suspecting a deficiency to be more likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. In my opinion your symptoms are more likely to be associated with a deficiency, quite possibly a vitamin B12 deficiency along with some other nutrient as well.

I would thus recommend the following:

+Physical examination
+Comprehensive blood count (which should confirm anemia)
+Nutrient levels (vitamin C, vitamin B12, vitamin B6, etc.)
+Serum iron level
and other parameters recommended by the doctor who gets to physically examine you.

I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 23 minutes later
Is it possible to be deficient in b12 if u eat all food groups
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it still is, let me tell you how

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

Yes it still is.

Vitamin B12 and iron are absorbed into the body from the large intestine, and so even if you have a diet rich in vitamin B12 and iron you can still have a deficiency in the same if there is some abnormality with that part of your intestine responsible for absorption of these nutrients. Examples of a few conditions include irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulosis, etc.

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you ma'am. I am glad you have very relevant questions and would like you to know that I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 51 minutes later
Would I have any idea if my intestines had issues? Other than some constipation & occasional mild loose stool I do not have any problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both are symptoms of an abnormality

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again.

Both constipation and occasional mild stool occurring in the absence of a fever are signs of an abnormality. We could have possibly found the cause for your symptoms, but it will of course require laboratory and physician confirmation.

I hope you find my response helpful ma'am. Please do not hesitate to write to me about anything, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 0 minute later
Can stress cause this?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can contribute, cannot be solely responsible

Detailed Answer:
Hi ma'am.

Stress can lead to an aggravation of the condition, but it cannot be the main/primary cause to its onset ma'am.

Best wishes.