What causes redness on neck?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I have redness on neck area every morning and sometimes in evening but it goes away after one or two hours
Posted Thu, 28 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly send pictures of the affected area.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.

I can understand your concern for the rash on the neck area.

I need view to help you best I request you to kindly upload your pictures of the affected area. For that you have a feature on the right side of the page.
Hope to hear soon from your side.

With regards,
Dr Sanjay Kanodia MD-DERMATOLOGY

Follow-up: What causes redness on neck? 5 minutes later
Right now not there it go away within in few minutes or hours

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probably urticaria

Detailed Answer:

Welcome again to the forum and thanks for your follow up. I was waiting for the pictures to get uploaded. As I am not able to find the same therefore on the basis of history provided it appears that you have the condition which is known as "urticaria" or simply known as "hives". Just go on internet and see the pictures for your ready reference. Do let me know if these matches with the same or not.

Even if these are not matching then also the kind of redness of very short nature is basically related to urticaria.

Before I proceed further let you understand about your problem. To tell you Medically - Our blood contains multiple type cells including red blood cells and white blood cells. Specifically these white blood cells provide immunity to our body which are of further multiple types.

Whenever anything in body is not suitable or offending to body then the number of white blood cells increases transiently. Particularly these cells which increase are eosinophils and basophils which are also known as mast cells.

These cells contain granules which have a specific chemical known as histamine. So as soon as any offending factors come in contact there is bursting of the mast cells. There fore this histamine is released and we experience variable degree of itching and the kind of redness which you are telling.

The redness can remain for a very transient period to upto multiple hours. It can remain for more than 12 hours too depending on the intensity of the offending factor but never more than 24 hours.

Now the type of offending factor are innumerable including our food, environmental factors including temperature variation, heat, humidity, cold, dust and even simple of fragrances in air and multiple of other related things and very importantly stress too.

In your case as most probably it may be related to environmental factors as it is present in the morning and evening. You check out for any change in all the factors during preceding last two hours before the redness.

For the treatment part - it is quite simple and treated with drugs which inhibits the histamine release also known as Antihistamines. I myself prefer Loratadine ( Alaspan or Lorfast) in my patients as it is very simple medicine without any side effects of sedation.

In my patients I start with 2-3 tablets/day, as soon as good effect is maintained then reduce to one to two in few weeks and then alternate days in next few weeks. Once there are no lesions/bumps for few weeks then taper off to 2-3 tablets per week for few months and then stop it.

I hope these information will help you in dealing the condition better. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help you.

With good health wishes,

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD - Dermatology