What causes red itchy bumps on legs, feet and neck?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am covered with red itchy bumps. Started emerging yesterday morning on my legs and feet. Now up to my neck. Heaviest concentration on my legs and abdomen. Less so on my torso and arms. Nothing yet on my head. No other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be urticaria but provide images first.

Detailed Answer:
welcome to HCM,

I have read your query,

Sudden appearance of red itchy bumps on legs,arms and other body areas are likely urticaria (allergic hives) or could be something else but I would need to see those bumps for visual inspection.

Without clinical inspection,it is very difficult to figure out the diagnosis,So it is better that you take some pictures and upload them on the right side of query page.

I will go through them and will guide you accordingly.

Also,let me know if you have tried any over the counter medications?

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 9 hours later
Sorry about the slow response. I've been at work all day and unable to take photos. I have not taken any medication - prescription or over-the-counter. I was working in the yard and think perhaps something - flora or fauna - caused this.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
take antihistamines

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again and thanks for sharing picture.

I have gone through the picture and I will keep Urticaria (allergic hives) as the first possibility.

Urticaria or Hives is a skin condition with raised, red, itchy bumps.

Mostly,it subsides by itself or you may take antihistamines to get rid off itching and redness.

1) Cetirizine 10 mg twice daily till the rashes disappears.It is available over the counter.

2) Montelukast one daily if itching does not subside with cetrizine.

3) A topical soothing lotion (calamine lotion) to be applied over rashes or hives would also be helpful symptomatically. It will also give you relief from itching.

Most probably,rashes will subside within 2 or 3 days and in case not,then it would be advisable to see some nearby doctor for further evaluation..

Hope this will help you.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 15 hours later
thank you for your help
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

let me know if you have any more questions or if you have satisfied with my answer and do not have more queries,kindly close the discussion with feed back review.

Thanks for contacting.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T