What causes red bump on inner labia?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I have a red bump on my inner labia, it doesn't really hurt except if I try to squeeze it. It's been there for about 3 days, it hasn't gotten any worse, but it's just there. There's no whitehead so I don't think it's a pimple, just a red bump. Any idea what it is?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bartholin's cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. From your description, this is likely to be a Bartholin's cyst. If small and causing no discomfort, there is no need to do anything with it. If it is painful, it may be infected. In this case, continue with warm baths or a warm compress. Paracetamol or ibuprofen can relieve the pain. Also, if painful you should see your doctor who may consider a course of antibiotics is needed.
If it causes further problems then surgical removal may be necessary.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
Follow up: Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
If it is in fact a cyst how long will it take to go away?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May not go away spontaneously.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your further question. This type of cyst may not go away naturally. If it is causing any discomfort then I suggest you consider having it surgically removed. This is a minor procedure.
Dr K A Pottinger