• question-icon

What causes rashes on the buttocks in an infant?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
1. My daughter is approx 6 months old. She has developed some rashed near diaper area. Pics attached. Please advise what shall we do?

2. My wife is doing the massage of my daughter with johnson's baby oil. Till what age massage is recommended for the baby for proper development and growth? Please advise.

xxxxx
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oil massage does not help and may be stopped.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns.

1. I have checked the attached image. You would need to ensure that the region remains clean and dry. Use may use some moisturizer like aloe vera lotion.

2. Contrary to popular belief oil massage does not help in achieving proper growth and development in a child. In fact, oil is not absorbed in all from the skin. So, I do not suppose it to be a good idea to continue the oil massage at all.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 12 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thanks for your reply.

Regarding massage, shall we stop massage with oil and do it without oil or you are recommending no massage at all?

Secondly, we were giving her Calshine P for vitamin D (0.5 ml per day for initial 5 months). Now, we have started Ossopan D (5 ml twice a day) on suggestion of our doctor. Which of these two do you recommend for vitamin D? Giving her 5 ml twice a day is a bit challenge for us as she moves a lot and doesn't take it easily. Please suggest.

xxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can continue Calshine P and stop Ossopan D

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You can stop the massage altogether.

Please continue Calshine P 0.5 ml once daily. The vitamin D content of Ossopan D is inadequate (if given alone) but it contains calcium. Unless there is a specific reason we do not usually advise calcium supplementation. So, I do not think that is required, especially with the level of struggle you need to do in order to feed it to her.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician