• question-icon

What causes raised itchy wheals on the scalp?

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Dermatology......raised wheals on scalp that itch like crazy; with scratching, can scab over and are slow to heal. Now same problem emerging downward on neck behind and under the ear. Thought it was psoriasis at first.
Treatment shampoos seemed to ease the condition, but it never went away totally. Now with the spread to the neck area of a larger raised spot, the itching is becoming more problematic - also, this is visible and embarrassing as I am a receptionist/nurse in a VA clinic. We have 2 Maltese/poodle dogs with no skin problems to my knowledge. What could it be? What to do?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seborrhoic dermatitis or contact dermatitis,upload pics, answer few ques

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints and it could be either seborrhoic dermatitis or contact dermatitis.
I would recommend you to upload the pictures of the affected areas under the report section of the site so that I can have a clearer picture of the condition and can guide you accordingly.
Do you use hair XXXXXXX on the scalp?
Do you have diabetes or any other ailments?
Are you taking any medicines?
Kindly revert with the answers and pictures.
Dr Asmeet
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 23 hours later
No diabetes; no hair dye; no oral meds. Observe healthy diet and exercise moderately. The scalp problems have been occurring over quite a long period of time.
The scalp lesions form as round raised itchy spots surrounded by pinpoint red spots, not connected to the main one. Unable to download pictures, but illustrations are similar. The affected neck area is a new happening. What medical treatments are suggested? Will a heat lamp help?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be dermatitis, heat lamp won't help

Detailed Answer:
After going through your history it seems to be dermatitis.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to use a ketoconazole shampoo twice weekly and apply lotion containing combination of steroid and antifungal like beclomethasone and clotrimazole lotion on the affected areas of the scalp and neck twice daily.
For itching you can take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg twice daily.
I don't think heat lamp will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist