• question-icon

What causes primary biliary cirrhosis of the liver?

Posted on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My SGPT IS 57 and my GGT is 69
I have previously been diagnosed with primary biliary cirrhosis, but now my hepatologist thinks I may have autoimmune hepatistis. In September of last year my ALT/AST were in the 500's and 700's respectively. Although the alt/ast are markedly lower, they never seem to reach the "normal" range anymore. What are your thoughts on what could be occurring? I'm a 41 year old female non-smoker non-drinker 140 pounds 5'3" cholesterol and all other labs have been normal. I have had positive anti mitochondrial abs positive and anti smooth muscle abs positive.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Details below!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking your query on this forum.
Have gone through your question and i appreciate your concerns.

The word hepatitis means that there is swelling in cells of liver.Liver consists of millions of small unit called as hepatocytes.The function of hepatocytes is to produce liver enzymes.
When due to any reason(like in autoimmune hepatitis) the hepatocytes become inflamed leaky hence the enzymes stored inside it are now leaked into blood increasing the levels of them.

So mild to moderate deranged levels of liver enzymes would always be there.So don't worry to much about their levels.

Repeat ultrasound every 6 month and if its normal nothing more is to be done.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist