• question-icon

What does a raised gamma GT mean?

I was diagnosed in august with autoimmune hepatitis. I just had the blood tests redone and Gamma Gonulin, Ast and alt were unchanged but the Gamma GT has gone up significantly. I have no symptoms. What does it mean that the Gamma GT has risen so quickly?
Fri, 23 Dec 2016
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I am Dr. Rommstein, I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can.
GGT indicators of liver damage or injury from alcohol and some other diseases. the next step is to look for certain liver damage and most common cause is fatty liver disease. It should be confirmed by ultrasound. Other causes are viral hepatitis,cirrhosis, medications, alcohol intake or autoimmune diseases. To verify exact cause, US, bilirubin levels and tumor markers should be additionally done Then appropriate treatment can be started.
I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health.