• question-icon

Suggest ways to rule out liver disease

Posted on Fri, 27 Oct 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Diffusely increased ecotexture liver. Normal in size 16.4.
Actin ( smooth Muscle ) Antibody.
Weak positive 23
All other test are normal.
Do I have liver disease ?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query,
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
steatosis, is a condition characterized by excess build-up of fat within the liver. Although, it is normal for the liver to have some amount of fat, yet fat in excess of ten percent can be a cause for concern. However, fatty liver can be completely reversed if promptly treated.

So mild fatty liver is a common age related change and is nothing to be worried about.At a age of 69 mild fatty liver means nothing clinically.
The amount of fatty acid in the liver depends on the balance between the processes of delivery and removal.As the age increases the number of transporter cells which carry fat from liver to peripheral parts(for utilization decreases);Causing increased deposition of these fatty acids in liver.

. Anti-smooth muscle antibody is a blood test that detects the presence of antibodies against smooth muscle. The antibody is useful in making a diagnosis of autoimmune hepatitis.
In your case its just marginally inflammated most likely due to fatty liver.

Final Diagnosis.
You are normal.

Recommendations

Eat good food and follow healthy life style

Some food plans are-
-Whole grains are very beneficial to consume.These can be in the form of XXXXXXX whole wheat bread or cereal, brown rice, whole grain pasta,grains such as whole oats, wild rice, rye, oatmeal and corn are also beneficial and can be taken if suits your fooding pattern.
-Fruits and vegetables should be a significant part of any diet to help in recovering from a liver disease. They are full of essential nutrients and are easy to digest.When on recovery diet follow a high carbohydrate diet,Fat contents of diet should be very low.However Olive oil, canola oil and flaxseed oil are all healthy fats that are recommended as part of a diet for patients.
-Healthy proteins in the form of low-fat milk and dairy products along with lean meats, beans, eggs and soy products can also be a part of a healthy liver diet.

- Consume high fiber foods as a part of high fiber diet. Grain products: (6-11 servings of grain product in your diet is required daily) whole grain breads, whole wheat, whole grain mixed grain, cracked wheat, buns, muffins. Brown ricewhole wheat pasta or brown rice pastacereals made from whole grain oatmeal ground flax, wheat germ or wheat XXXXXXX in baked goods vegetables: (3-5 servings daily) dark green leafy vegetables contain heigest amounts of fiber e. G. Spinach, broccoli, green peas, green beans, turnip greens. Fruits: (2-3 serving of fruits) apples. Oranges, pears, peaches. Berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries) dried fruits (dates, prunes apricots legumes, nuts and seeds).

Vitamin c: it maintains the healthy blood vessels and maintain tissue matrix. And increases the body immunity also. Rich source are blackberries, raspberries, broccoli, spinach, guavas, amla, lime melon, orange, papaya, pineapple, tomato.Vitamin e: it is a fat soluble vitamin which maintains healthy cell membrane as well as the prevention of inflammation.

Silibinin, also known as silybin, is the major active constituent of silymarin, a standardized extract of the milk thistle seeds, containing a mixture of flavonolignans consisting of silibinin, isosilibinin.It should be taken two times a day.Its a very potent liver rejenuvator and is very effective in maintaining liver healthy.

Ayurvedic tablet Liv 52 should be taken once daily.

But my suggestion is that as per your age its normal so don't panic about it.
Hope i was helpful.
Keep enjoying your

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 59 minutes later
Dr thank you very much for your detailed answer.
I am 59 not 69 would that change your answer ?
I drink wine 3 to 4 glasses a week.
I have been anemic for 12 years I have had every test possible! They still cannot find the leak. I have iron transfusions every 7-10 months. Could iron infusions mess with your liver ?
The ASMA level weak positive had me worried
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
No if you are above 45 its the same.
Considering 5 ounces of wine as one drink. Just four to seven glasses of wine per week can lower your risk for prostate cancer, according to the Harvard Medical School so keep that accordingly.

No iron transfusion as you are anemic won't mess with your liver
please cross check if these tests are done-
Thalessemia profile
serum tranferin
serum feritin
TIBC
Peripheral smear of blood.

ASMA level weak positive has no significance.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist