What causes pressure behind the eyes on waking up?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I'm woke up feeling pressure behind both eyes
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Eye pressure needs to get checked using tonometer

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HCM,
I have gone through your query.

A pressure feeling behind the eyes is a symptom with many possible causes.
I would like to know is it associated with headache, or blurry vision ?
Since when you are facing this problem?

It is difficult to exactly diagnose with examination and investigation, so I'll mention here few possibilities that you can inquire when you see doctor preferably ophthalmologist.

A pressure sensation behind both eyes can be caused by a tension headache.

Glaucoma is an eye condition in which the pressure within the eye is elevated resulting in blurry vision that can progress to total vision loss. The pressure in the eye can be checked using tonometer, opthalmologist will have it.

Presently I would suggest if you have pain, you can take tablet Diclofenac 75 mg twice daily after food. But you need to see doctor( opthalmologist) for examination and to check the pressure in eye.

This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 3 hours later
I have been confirmed to be nearsighted since age 13. I visited my eye doctor regularly every two yrs and wear glasses. This pressure behind my eyes is new and I woke up this morning with the pressure and a slight migraine. I took 2 aspirin this morning and the pressure and migraine are gone. Does thar help narrow down the possibilities?
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Visit opthalmologist for examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I think based on the information, it might be due to headache. I would suggest you to see opthalmologist for examination and to see if there any change in the power of the glasses. Meanwhile you can take tablet diclofenac 50 mg for 3 days to address the pain.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak