What causes pins and needles sensation in the legs?
Started out occasionally in ankle and it has increased to daily, and now traveled to calf.
Should I be concerned?
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Shooting intermittent pain is normally related to peripheral neuropathy.
Peripheral neuropathy refers to a disease affecting the peripheral nerves (nerves outside of the brain and spinal cord).
There are different possible causes , some of the common causes are: (1)trauma to the nerves that supplying the area. Arthritis to the lower back , where the nerves to the legs come from, may also cause this problem
(2)vitamin b12 or folate deficiency
(4)liver or kidney disease
(5)exposure to toxins
(6)neurological diseases such as stroke or ms
(7)idiopathic- cause not known
IF you have a history of diabetes, liver or kidney disease then one of these may be the cause.
Any recent trauma or arthritis to the lower back (where the nerves to the calf and ankle come from), may also cause a problem.
This can be checked by an Xray of the back
If none of these are present, your doctor may want to check your B12 or folate levels as low levels can also cause a problem.
Replacement would help.
Summary: (1) xray of the back would be able to determine if there is an issue here
(2)blood tests for the kidney, liver, diabetes, vitamin levels may also be needed
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Pins and needles feeling in hands and feet is caused by what
- What causes pins needles in vagina
- What causes pins and needles sensation in children
- What causes pins and needles sensation
- What causes pins and needles in the mouth
- What causes pain with pins and needles
- What causes pins and needles sensation after getting hot
- What causes pins and needles sensation with headaches
- What causes pins and needles sensation on leg
- What causes pin and needles on penis
- On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What...
- Having cramps and periods. Took advil. What should I do to get relief...
- I am 20 years old. Trying to increase height. Suggest some medicine
- Having sarcoidosis disease. What happens when they come into contact...
- After waking up there is a loud pop and the hearing improves. Looking...
- Put oxygen in nose during colonoscopy. Started sneezing and runny nose....
- Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the...
- what does Minor linear atelectasis and fibrosis posterobasal segment...
- Have blocked bile duct. Scan could not found gall bladder. What is the...
- Ultrasound showed benign cyst in kidney. Blood test showed low vitamin...