What causes persistent fever with wheezing and cough?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Question
Hello Doctor,

This is XXXX/Male/33 years. Problem started 5 weeks back with low grade fever(mostly evening times). I took Paracetamol for a week but with no signs of improvement I showed a physician and I was given Zifi. Problem it not disappear and then I showed another physician who prescribed - Azithromycin and Taxim. Blood tests, urine and chest X-ray were done and everything was clear. Again problem did not subside. I then went and showed an ENT who said I had parotitis and that was causing fever. He prescribed mcin. The fever went away after 3 days but after that i got a new problem of Wheezing and cough. I showed the same ENT. He prescribed Azithromycin and Montaris LC. for 3 days. I was alright for 3 days but again the problem of Cough and Wheezing started. I am currently on Cavalam and Montaris LC and Luptitus cough syrup. The problem is the only way to prevent wheezing seems to be Montaris LC. I have no history of Ashthma or allergy to anything. Please suggest
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Test for Absolute eosinophil count

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

After reviewing your history, symptoms and treatment details, I suspect you may be having some allergic reaction to unknown allergen.

I would suggest you to test for Absolute eosinophil count (AEC) which helps to know whether there is any allergic reaction.

If there is elevated kevels of AEC, you may be allergic to allergens like dust, pollen, food and mite. Which should be confirmed by Skin prick test (SPT). This will help for further treatment and prevention of symptoms.

Thank you.

Follow-up: What causes persistent fever with wheezing and cough? 19 minutes later
Hi doctor, i went through blood test twice and one test showed eosinophil as 4% and another one showed 1%. I guess that was what you were referring to correct?

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, It is in normal range

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query,

The eosinophil count is with in normal range and as all the investigations are in normal limits,I would suggest you to wait for another 1 to 2 weeks and continue to use Tab Montaris LC for another 15 days.

This drug has got less side effect and you can continue to use as it is able to control your symptoms.
Thank you.

Follow-up: What causes persistent fever with wheezing and cough? 7 minutes later
So should not take any antibiotics? Cough syrups?

Answered by Dr. Praveen G 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stop Antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
It is my privilege to answer your query,

Stop the antibiotics, you have taken enough number of antibiotics. Continue cough syrup and Tab Montaris LC for another 15 days.
Thank you.