What causes persistent diarrhea and vomiting?

Excellent

Question
My daughter has had diareeha and vomiting for the last 10 weeks. Diareeha came first and later the vomiting. She is small to start but is losing weight. She has visited a doctor who has run blood tests and has not found a diagnosis. He also did stool tests for parasites - none found. She is weak and unable to keep almost any food down. The doctor referred her to a gastroentestinal medical group. They want to do a colonostomy this Tuesday. I am concerned about her taking the laxative medications which they have prescribed. I have told her to get to an emergency room at the local hospital. What can you offer in the way of recommendation and what could possibly be wrong. I feel she is at crisis point.
Mon, 7 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Empty gut is needed for colonoscopy

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what your daughter had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, since stool analysis was also inconclusive, it's better to get her get checked to rule out any inflammatory conditions inside intestine. An upper and a lower GI endoscopy with or without biopsy will be needed. Also some blood tests for coeliac disease should also be done.

The gastroenterologist clinic was the right approach and since they have prescribed colonoscopy to start with, I would agree with the plan but in my opinion other non invasive tests like ANA, anti TTG , fetal occult blood and calprotectin can be considered before colonoscopy but off course colono is more helpful in ruling out other conditions whcih can present like the same.

Gut preparation is a must before such procedure and laxative might be needed a day before alongwith restricting food intake from solid to liquids a day before and stopping intake from midnight. Laxatives use is inevitable in such circumstances.

Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards