Suggest treatment for persistent mouth ulcers

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 9 Nov 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello doc, my wife has mouth ulcer from last 6 months. These ulcers are just above the third molar and second molar .few are inside the throat also. What could be the possible causes for the same and please suggest any treatment. These ulcers has not completely vanished from last 6 months.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes of long standing oral ulcers

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist). I have noted your concern.
Long standing oral ulcers for 6months can possibly be due to several causes...
- Recurrent oral aphthosis/ canker sores.
- Vitamin deficiency and malabsorption
- Crohn' s disease or Ulcerative colitis.
- Coeliac disease
- Lupus (SLE)
- Erosive oral Lichen planus
I request you to kindly upload a few clear images in "Reports Section " so that I am able to guide you better.
I would like see in the Images/ know from you, whether the ulcers are on the buccal mucosa or gingival mucosa? Is the palate/ roof of oral cavity involved? Is the tongue involved?
Are the ulcers painful and interfere with food?
Do they resolve in a few days and then form again i.e recurrent or are they persistent for 6 months?
Has she tried any treatment for the ulcers till now?

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 19 hours later
Please find the attached image for better understanding. She is also having ulcers in inner layer of throat. You can see then in pics with redness beside the tongue.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Images not received

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Unfortunately I could not find any attached images. I request you to kindly try uploading the images again. You may also mail me the images at YYYY@YYYY with the subject line of the mail as Attention: Dr. Kakkar or you may contact Customer care team of healthcaremagic for help regarding uploading the images.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana