Suggest treatment for celiac disease

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 28 Oct 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: can celiac disease if treated improperly cause heart disease or any other permanent health damage, and/or cardiac crisis?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Studies still going on but yes you are at increased risk.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query.

Earlier Many studies have identified an increased risk of morbidity and mortality due to a higher incidence of heart problems in celiac disease patients.

However latest reports shows that the "trendy gluten-free diets may increase the risk of heart disease".100,000 people from 1986 to 2012, assessing their diets and whether they had heart attacks during that time. These people did not have heart disease at the start of the study, and importantly did not have coeliac disease.Overall, it found that once other risk factors were taken into account, people's consumption of gluten was not related to their risk of heart attack. However, further analyses suggested that lower consumption of gluten specifically from whole grains (wheat, barley and rye) was associated with increased heart attack risk compared to higher consumption from these sources.The researchers concluded that differences in long term dietary intake of gluten were not associated with risk of heart disease. However, their results suggested that avoiding gluten may reduce consumption of whole grains, and this may lead to increased risk of heart disease.

So initially get a colonoscopy done to see if you have inflammatory bowel disease or not otherwise in long runs you are in cardiac risk un necessarily.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad