• question-icon

What causes painful swallowing and painful stiff points in throat?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi, I am having some troubles with my throat, 2 stiff points at the very top and at the bottom, the one at the top makes me feels like am chocking specially when am sleeping, also i have a difficulty swallowing and pain on the right side of my throat, in the images attached there is something at the very bottom that looks very strange, should i worry abt anything? or this is just buss and i need to take broad spectrum antibiotic?
Answered by Dr. Krunal Karade 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
In the bottom , it is epiglottis which is inflamed along with both tonsils

Detailed Answer:
I have read your query , seen your pictures , reviewed your medications and understand your concern.

After reading your clinical history & seen pictures it appears that you are most probably having upper respiratory track infection (URTI) with Post Nasal Drip (PND).

In the bottom , it is epiglottis which is inflamed along with both tonsils . No need to worry much .

If I were your treating doctor , I would advice
Antiseptic Mouth Wash thrice daily like Betadin ,
Tab paracetamol thrice daily after meal for inflammation &
Antihistaminic Tab Claritin (Loratadine 10mg) at night .

You may need antibiotic , if no relief with above treatment plan within 2 days from your doctor .

You will get relief .

Hope this information helpful to you .If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Dr. Krunal Karade

ENT Specialist