What causes painful contractions of vaginal muscles upon initiation of penetration during intercourse?

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi Doc,

I am trying to have sex with my partner for a month now and everytime we try it, i experience pain in penetration and push him off. More than pain i am always very stressed and panicky to know his next move and i always run off from intercourse. I know it is more psychological than physical, i am planning to use lox 2% as that is the only on the counter numbing gel available in XXXXXXX and lubic gel for lubrication this time. I definitely want to do it but too scared of pain, could you please help with more suggestions to ease the pain part as i am not really ready to bear the pain. We have used good lubricants but they have not helped much. Please help with some suggestions on the pain part.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible Vaginismus.Highly treatable and curable

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Madam.

I understand your concern.

I have gone through your query in detail.

You possibly seem to have Vaginismus.

This condition is characterised by painful contractions of vaginal muscles upon initiation of penetration by the male partner.

Vaginismus is highly treatable. Successful vaginismus treatment does not require surgery, hypnosis, nor any other complex invasive technique.

Effective treatment approaches combine pelvic floor control exercises, insertion or dilation training, pain elimination techniques, transition steps, and exercises designed to help women identify, express and resolve any contributing emotional components.

Treatment steps can often be completed at home, allowing a woman to work at her own pace in privacy, or in cooperation with her health care provider.

Additionally a short course of anxiolytic drugs like Clonazepam for 2-3 months will help to relax your vaginal muscles and feel no pain.Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe them to you.

The pain can be gradually reduced by the following steps.

Women with vaginismus can do exercises, in the privacy of their own home, to learn to control and relax the muscles around the vagina.

The approach is called progressive desensitization, and the idea is to get comfortable with insertion.

First, do Kegel exercises by squeezing the same muscles you use to stop the flow of urine when urinating:

Squeeze the muscles.
Hold for 2 seconds.
Relax the muscles.

Do about 20 Kegels at a time. You can do them as many times a day as you want to.

After a few days, insert one finger, up to about the first knuckle joint, inside the vagina while doing the exercises. It's a good idea to clip your fingernails first and use a lubricating jelly. Or do the exercises in a bathtub, where water is a natural lubricant.

Start with one finger and work your way up to three. You'll feel the vagina's muscles contracting around your finger, and you can always take your finger out if you're not comfortable.

Post your further queries if any.
Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 9 hours later
Dear Doc,

Please suggest a dose for clonotril for the next 3-4 days as i am planning to have sex in the next few days. I totally feel that my issue is more psychological than physical. Its a fear of pain more than anything.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
0.5 mg will be sufficient

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX

Yes absolutely, your issue purely psychological.

You will get better soon and recover 100% to enjoy a pleasurable sex.Do not worry.

I recommend a dose of 0.5mg once a daily at bedtime for 3-6 months and then taper with 0.25 mg over next 3 months.Please check with your physician if he shares my view and if can prescribe the same to you.

Post your further queries if any.

Thank you.
Follow up: Dr. Suresh Heijebu 9 minutes later
If i start taking it today, do you think it can help to have sex in next 2-3 days? Plus with the help of Lubricants, oil and Lox 2%?

At present i am on Hairbless, Gemcal, uprise d3 and Raricap for iron and vitamin deficiency. Will it be ok to take clorotril with these medicines?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Clonotril can be taken with these drugs

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXXXXX

You can take Clonotril with the above drugs mentioned.

It may take 2-3 weeks for a full effect of clonotril to manifest.

Hence, I advise you to not expect full effects within 3 days, but you can still give a try.

Thank you.