What causes pain under left shoulder blade with history of aortic valve replacement?
I am a 75 yo male, who had an aortic valve replacement in October 2013. I have no fever, but feel a little off par like I had a light flu. I have made an appointment to see a cardiologue next Monday March 7th
I took both the flu shot and the pulmonary shot in the fall of 2015.
Height 5'5" and 140 lbs in birth suit.
I would explain as follows:
Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!
I understand your concern and would explain that it is important performing a comprehensive differential diagnosis of different causes that may lead to this symptomatology:
- Inflammation and a musculo-skeletal issue. Is this pain modulated by respiration or body movements? This would be indicative of a musculo-skeletal pain. A chest X ray study, complete blood count and inflammation tests would be necessary to rule in/out this possible cause.
- A lung infection or pleuritis (inflammation of the layers covering the lungs). The above mentioned tests would also help exclude this possibility.
- Your past medical history of aortic valve displacement is a little concerning. Although these symptoms are not typical of myocardial ischemia or any other disorders affecting the aorta, it is necessary performing some cardiac tests:
a- a resting ECG and cardiac enzymes
b- a cardiac ultrasound to examine the cardiac structure
c- a cardiac stress test would be necessary if suspicions of possible myocardial ischemia would be raised.
I recommend discussing with your attending physician on the above issues.
Hope you will find this answer helpful!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Bovine aortic valve replacement
- Timing of aortic valve replacement
- What causes bleeding after the aortic valve replacement
- Pain after aortic valve replacement
- Pain in chest after aortic valve replacement
- Type of aortic valve replacements
- Aortic valve replacement in a drinker
- Anticoagulation for aortic valve replacement
- Mechanical aortic valve replacement
- Aortic valve replacement alcohol