What causes sore throat, nasal congestion, breathlessness and red spots on the tongue?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi,
I have had a sore throat, nasal congestion, a productive cough for 2 weeks now. Also I have had trouble eating without having an upset stomach. I have some shortness of breath at time. This morning I woke up with tiny red spots all over my tongue and it feels sore too. I thought it was probably a virus and I need to just get through it. Should I go see someone?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible causes and some recommendations given

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The symptoms you are experiencing can happen when we have a virus but generally should subside in a week. The fact that you go on with the symptoms might mean that you might have had 2 viruses one after the other or the second one is a complication of the first one.

The only thing to consider with tongue changes and sore throat that last so long and especially if you have had some fever is the scarlet fever. This is a condition that will need antibiotics if this is the case.

I would say that seeing a doctor might be recommended especially as you are finding yourself short of breath sometimes. Listening to your lungs would be helpful to rule out lung infection. Also examining your throat and tongue, etc, will help check for other possible complications.

So I would recommend you to see a doctor as it is 2 weeks with the symptoms. Meanwhile make sure you drink well, rest and take Ibuprofen to help with pain.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to reply in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T