What causes pain in tip of penis?
I was feeling pain at the tip of my penis for about 10 days. I went to a walk in clinic and they prescribed a 7 day course of macrobid assuming it was a uti. I started feeling better a few days after but when I completed the antibiotic the pain came back. I went back to the same walk in clinic and he said I may have urethritis and gave me 4 pills of antibiotic that I had to take in front of him. I didnt feel better for that whole week. i then started feeling pain and pressure in my testicles. My Dr said I probably had prostatitis and prescribed a 1 month course of sulfatrim. I've been on it for a week now and I don't feel better. I am taking both ibuprofen and tylenol but I still feel pain. how long will this take to cure? any other tips?
You need to have a diagnosis first by urine culture sensitivity.
Welcome to health care magic,
Pain over tip of penis could be due to variety of causes,
1) bladder infection is the commonest cause where the pain is referred to the tip of penis.
2) The other causes are urethritis,prostatitis which was suspected earlier in your case and given antibiotics clinically as stated by you.
3) Stones in the urinary tract might also cause pain over glans.
4) Application of irritant soap might cause pain as the glans penis is very sensitive
5) unhygienic conditions could also produce infection of glans.
6) After above all causes one should also rule out the chances of having STD.
I think you should go for complete blood count,ESR,Urine routine micro and culture sensitivity testing to identify the organism and its sensitive antibiotics rather than just taking antibiotics clinically.
You can also go for pelvic ultrasound with full bladder and swab test of the penis as per your urologist advice.
Macrobid group or sulpha with trimethoprims antibiotics are good but not the first choice of urinary infection.
Quinolones groups(levofloxacin) would be far better choice in case of UTI and to be taken for full course.
So,It would be better you consult urologist and get diagnosed first and then start appropriate antibiotics with other symptommatic treatment.
Hope I have answered it completely and would be helpful to you.
Here,i would prefer quinolones inplace of sulfatrim.
Thanks for the follow-up.
As I said earlier, you will need some investigations and urologist thoroughly examination for proper diagnosis.
If suppose,it is due to prostatitis then sulfatrim is good antibiotic but as I said it is not the first choice nowadays because of the availability of more potent and broad spectrum antibiotics like quinolones specially more effective in the treatment of genitourinary system.
If your testis and anus are also sore and swollen,then you immediately consult urologist and start symptommatic treatment with appropriate antibiotics.
Here,there will be no need to take alpha blockers as you do not have any structural problem or swelling.
So,it would be advisable you undergo all the investigations and start antibiotics as per reports and urologist advice.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes pain over penis
- What causes penis hole pain
- What causes burning pain in the penis
- What causes bumps in the tip of penis
- What causes soreness and pain on the penis
- What causes soreness in the tip of penis
- What could cause sharp pain on the tip of penis
- What is the cause of pain in foreskin of penis
- What causes discomfort at the tip of the penis
- What cause pain near penis