What causes pain in hip after a back surgeries?

Geriatrics Specialist
Question
My wife's right hip was replaced about 10 years ago; when it hurts the doctor says that the problem is coming from her back surgeries. July 14, 2014, - 2 days ago, after seeing her Doctor, with her back hurting in the tail bone area, he sent her to the ER. When in the ER room, July 14, 2014, her right leg (her thigh and calf) were quite swollen, started to move (throbbed) up and down several times. In a little while, she also experienced along with the moving up and down of the right thigh, a very strong pain that started in her toes and worked itself up her leg to her groin. The pain was so severe, that she screamed every time. This lasted about 3 hours until they gave her a relaxant sedative.
The back of her right calf hurt real bad when a nurse pinched it. She normally takes Lasix and wears compression stockings. Her leg has a purplish color, and is much larger in diameter, than normal.
When getting into bed, she has to move both legs onto the bed with her hands.
The ER took a cat scan and gave her the following prescriptions - Naproxen500mg 1 tab twice a day; Prednisone 20mg 1 tab/day; HM stool softener 250mg 1 day; cephalexin 500mg 1 tab 2 twice a day; Diazepam 3 times a day and 1 bottle Magnesium Citrate. The Cat Scan showed a lot of poo.
She decided to stay in bed today, July 16, 20014, and when she does get up to go to the bath room she more or less drags her right leg.
She has had about 6 back surgeries and has a surgically installed (inoperative) urine control and back brace. Normally every day I put compression stockings on her and after breakfast she takes a Lasix pill.
Since she doesn't want to get out of bed except to go to the bathroom, when can she expect that her body will return to normal? Her bed has a control that raises the mattress under her legs, which she uses.
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Prakash H Muddegowda 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Depends on family support and reassurance.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr. Prakash HM and I will be answering your query.
After going through the previous clinical history and present symptoms, I can suggest as follows:
1. She has just gone out of a major health scare (as she was in ER) and she will require some time to reassure herself
2. Was she XXXXXXX earlier? Her mobility seems to have already been restricted based on her presentation to ER. Was she by any possibility diagnosed as "Deep vein thrombosis"
3. She can be started with passive exercises of her limbs, then slowly supported movement and finally with walking stick.
4. Explain her the risk of being immobile and the possibility of deep vein thrombosis, which can cause stroke or heart attack.

She would require with good reassurance and family support around 2-3 weeks to be as much XXXXXXX as before. Try to involve her in social activities as much as possible. Keep all chronic diseases under control.

Nutrition and regular medication is essential. Do not force her to do anything, as she might develop averse response to it. Your support is critical.

Any further queries, happy to help again.
Dr. Prakash HM