What causes itching and sweating near the anus with bleeding during defecation?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have occasional narrow stools with sweating, itchy anus and occasional bright red blood on the toilet tissue also some stingy after bowel movement.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Itching of the anus is commonly due to either parasitic infection (persons may sometimes say - worms) or it may be due to hemorrhoids.
Dermatitis or irritation of the skin or a fungal infection in that area can also cause itching.

The hemorrhoids would also cause bright red blood which would usually be seen on wiping.
This stinging occurs because the area is irritated.

Though the blood, itching and stinging sensation can be due to hemorrhoids, when blood occurs in the stool, other serious causes are sometimes ruled out eg cancer of the bowel
Though this is not the most common cause, your doctor may still want to rule out any serious causes.

Treatment of hemorrhoids involves--(1)avoid straining with bowel movements. Would need to use at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily along with other fiber.

(2)increase fluid intake--make sure to use at least 8 glasses of fluids daily unless you have a medical reason for cutting fluids eg heart or kidney failure
This does not include alcohol or caffeine products because they cause the body to lose fluids

(3)use a stool softener now eg ducolax, to avoid straining. This should only be used for a few days because long term use of laxatives worsens constipation

(4)sitz baths with warm (not hot) water, 2 to 3 times a day for 10 to 15 mins would help a hemorrhoid flare

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions