What causes lumps around the anus filled with green pus?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
Hi, yesterday I found green pus at my anus and 2 cavities. Also there was a 3rd bump that looked like a boil that was not broken and still had pus in it. I have been on steroids twice with a 2 day break in between. The first time was for bronchitis (also had Zithromax) and the second for an allergic reaction to a muscle relaxer. I have no fever but have some pain at the anus. Is it safe to wait until Monday to see my family doctor?
Mon, 21 May 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
early examination and proper management helps.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Since there is green pus and cavities with another lump, it is better to get examined at ER or such facility so that a proper diagnosis by per-rectal digital examination and ano-proctoscopy can be done and prescription based antibiotic and anti-inflammatory medications be started as soon as possible to avoid further complications.
Earlier the proper management better are the outcome.
Clean the area with Liquid Povidone iodine to avoid secondary infection.
Take a Stool softener.
Have Sitz bath in a tub with warm water, clean and keep the area dry and then apply peroxide and Liquid povidone Iodine.

I hope this answers your queries.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Follow-up: What causes lumps around the anus filled with green pus? 27 minutes later
Thanks for your detailed and professional response. Am I ok to wait for two days or immediately head to the ER? My concern is secondary infection/sepsis.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Visit ER please

Detailed Answer:
It is better to head for ER as already explained above.
Secondary infection can occur as the area is usually covered and you already have 2 cavities. Use the procedure as explained.