How can anal irritation and inflammation be treated despite taking Tylenol?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have a history of hemorrhoids and rectal fissure,all is a well now but I had developed an irritation,redness,and like a burning sensation ,today is aggravated after bending,And going on the floor for cleaning.i started to use Calmoseptine,tried Hydrocortisone but didn’t help.Taking Tylenol.No major medical issues except I’m 70.No medications
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sitz bath - cleaning the area, Calmoseptin and advised.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Irritation, redness and like a burning sensation is indicative that there is an anal fissure as well as may be dermatitis of the perianal skin. There may be attendant secondary infection.
Hence I would advise you the following:
Sitz bath in a tub with warm water, to clean the area with a soaked cotton or so and then to make the area dry possibly with a hair-dryer for warm air.
You may apply Liquid Povidone iodine locally and allow this to dry; this will help to alleviate the local primary and secondary infection.
Taking a course of antibiotic, metronidazole helps to resolve the issue earlier - needs a valid prescription.
Take probiotics, activated charcoal and add bananas and yogurt to diet.
Diet to be adjusted to suit you the best from old experience.
Mild stool softener or a laxative to keep the stools soft.
You can continue to use Calmoseptin but stop hydrocortisone locally. Hydrocortisone can increase infection, makes skin soft and thinned out in a long run in some patients which should be avoided.
Multivitamins with mineral supplements help early recovery.
It is preferable to be examined clinically with per-rectal digital examination, ano-proctoscopy if the pain allows to know the exact diagnosis and since you are 70 years old colonoscopy is necessary to rule out any colon pathology.
Examination of stool and blood helps further.

I hope this answer helps you. Please feel free to give feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana