Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

173 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can anal irritation and inflammation be treated despite taking Tylenol?

Answered by
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Practicing since :1984

Answered : 12617 Questions

Posted on Mon, 14 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have a history of hemorrhoids and rectal fissure,all is a well now but I had developed an irritation,redness,and like a burning sensation ,today is aggravated after bending,And going on the floor for cleaning.i started to use Calmoseptine,tried Hydrocortisone but didn’t help.Taking Tylenol.No major medical issues except I’m 70.No medications
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sitz bath - cleaning the area, Calmoseptin and advised.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history and understood your concerns.
Irritation, redness and like a burning sensation is indicative that there is an anal fissure as well as may be dermatitis of the perianal skin. There may be attendant secondary infection.
Hence I would advise you the following:
Sitz bath in a tub with warm water, to clean the area with a soaked cotton or so and then to make the area dry possibly with a hair-dryer for warm air.
You may apply Liquid Povidone iodine locally and allow this to dry; this will help to alleviate the local primary and secondary infection.
Taking a course of antibiotic, metronidazole helps to resolve the issue earlier - needs a valid prescription.
Take probiotics, activated charcoal and add bananas and yogurt to diet.
Diet to be adjusted to suit you the best from old experience.
Mild stool softener or a laxative to keep the stools soft.
You can continue to use Calmoseptin but stop hydrocortisone locally. Hydrocortisone can increase infection, makes skin soft and thinned out in a long run in some patients which should be avoided.
Multivitamins with mineral supplements help early recovery.
It is preferable to be examined clinically with per-rectal digital examination, ano-proctoscopy if the pain allows to know the exact diagnosis and since you are 70 years old colonoscopy is necessary to rule out any colon pathology.
Examination of stool and blood helps further.

I hope this answer helps you. Please feel free to give feedback and ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Anal fissure

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor want to ask about anal fissure I have had anal fissure surgery 25 days ago, and told doctors to soak in salt water for 15 minutes, now it is 25 days, but I felt a little blain in the anus , few doctors advised to soak the permanganas calicus, and i already soak with permanganas calicus for 5 days. if it is true that I do?, can I soak with liquid Dettol ?

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. About 6 months ago, I noticed a white, sticky, fluffy discharge from my anus when I go to the toilet in the morning. The discharge is usually attached to my stool and the amount varies. It is not painful at all. I visited my local Health 4 Men clinic. I was treated for STI’s with an antibiotic. I was also treated for a possible anal fissure with suppositories. However, the discharge is still present in my stool. Lately, my anus is often itchy and the past week the tissue around the anus was tender and red. I treated it with an anti-fungal cream and it has now cleared up. For the past 2 weeks, I have been experiencing some slight abdominal pain (just below the left rib cage). This said, I was wondering whether I don’t perhaps have a Candida infection?

doctor1 MD

I have fissure for last 15 months. Sometimes it feels like its healed and sometimes it comes back again. Just don t know what to do. I have a balanced diet since I found out that I had a fissure. I take all the fibre rich things n supplements including ointment. And even stiz bath but it soon comes back. I want to cure it forever. Please help

doctor1 MD

hello, i am a male of 45 and experiencing pain like sensation in the anus which is irritating as it makes me feel aware all the time of the slight burning sensation. i try to contract my sphincter muscle now and then but the pain persists. during stool passage, i also get slight pain while defecating and when i use the toilet shower to wash myself the stream of water often hits certain spots on the anus that are slightly uncomfortable/painful. do i have an anal fissure or haemerrhoids? your advice would be greatly helpful. thank you

doctor1 MD

My daughter is 3 years 8 months old. She doesn't pass motion regularly for last 7 months . We have been visiting doctors but situation is not improving. After 4-5 days also we need to give repository for forcing the motion. She eats a lot of...

doctor1 MD

I have an itchy anus and occasional bright red blood on the toilet tissue also some stingy after bowel movement. what can I do.