What causes numbness in the left leg along with back pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi Doctor,

I am facing the back pain last 7 days and numbness in left leg foot last 2 days , Please suggest
Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mechanical back pain

Detailed Answer:
From description it seems to be mechanical back pain, more related to posture while working.
For pain and spasm to go you have to do back exercises to relive the spasm associated with this. Doing hot fomentation and applying muscle relaxant gel will also be helpful in relieving the spasm.
Correct your posture while sitting. Take frequent breaks during your work.
Lie on hard bed. Avoid forward bending and lifting heavy weight.
You can take anti inflammatory drug like ibuprofen to relieve pain.
The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible.

You can start with swimming and mild aerobic exercises. These do help a lot in the back pain. Do adequate warming up before starting the exercises daily.
Taking calcium and vitamin D 3 supplements will also help in early recovery. The numbness will improve with methylcobalamin supplements. You can get these prescribed from your orthopedician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes numbness in the left leg along with back pain? 10 hours later
Sir , Attached Prescription By Ortho Doctor Please review and suggest

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You have been given correct medicines.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the attached prescription. You have been prescribed pain killer local analgesic gel and methylcobalamin supplement. This should take care of your symptoms in 5-7 days. However regular exercise after the pain subsides is the only way to avoid this pain in the long term.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes numbness in the left leg along with back pain? 18 hours later
Sir , X-Ray will require or not

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI scan can help.

Detailed Answer:
X-ray cannot detect a nerve compression. In case the pain is persistent get an MRI scan done.
Regards.

Follow-up: What causes numbness in the left leg along with back pain? 2 days later
Sir , Can you please prescribed some medicine and exercises as i am not getting relief from prescribed medicine by attached medicine

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have a muscle relaxant.

Detailed Answer:
For a better relief you can have Tab. Tolagin 8mg twice a day after meals along with Tab. Deflazocort 6 mg twice a day. Do continue with Raciper 40. Have these for 5-6 days and you will feel better.
Regards.