What causes numbness in abdomen post hysterectomy?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I had a c section hysterectomy 4 years ago. Since this procedure, I have had an area of numbness and burning in the abdominal and vaginal region, is this normal? Can anything be done to reverse this issue?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
normally some improvement by this time

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The numbness and burning would be termed peripheral neuropathy.

This is altered sensations due to changes in the structure or function of the nerves outside the brain or spinal cord.
In your case, it is likely change in structure of the nerves because they may have been damaged during your procedure.

The timeframe for possible nerve repair and regeneration varies. In some cases, complete return to normal does not occur because either the nerve cannot completely heal to its original form or healing occurs in such a way that it results in abnormal sensations.

It normally can take months to years for healing to occur but as you stated after 4 years, significant improvement would have been expected.

If the burning and numbness is very disruptive there are medications that may be used that may be helpful.
These are medications that are normally used for nerve related discomfort. Examples are gabapentin, tegretol, lyrica, amitriptyline

You may want to consider speaking to your doctor.

These require a prescription.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions